IntelliSOFT is just coming on board the project, and they're going to start by mapping the MOH 257 data elements to the MVP/CIEL dictionary. First off, you guys should say hi and introduce yourselves. :-)
It would be great to know if someone out there has already done the work of mapping MOH 257 to MVP/CIEL (or to another OpenMRS dictionary like AMPATH, or to SNOMED/ICD, ...) who could share that work with us. Anybody?
Anyway, I spoke with Andy Kanter today, and he suggested a process for how you should go about the mapping process. After typing it up in a private email, I figured it would be useful to post here, after the jump...
- We shouldn't just send MVP/CIEL a list of the missing concepts, but we should sent them a spreadsheet that also includes the concepts we've already found, so they can comment on whether our mappings seem right or not.
- We should send them regular updates of our incomplete work, and not send them what we consider to be the complete request at the very end.
- It is best to use a structured spreadsheet, and he's provided an example, which (I don't know how to attach here)
- To start, we should collect all of the concepts that we want to map, filling out the "Actual text on form" and "Other text" columns in the spreadsheet. (Possibly also Class and Datatype.)
- Look through instructions/documentation for the forms, and put any supporting information in the "Other text" column, and if available, SNOMED CT or ICD 10 maps.
---It ends up more accurate if we separate the above steps from the next one---
- Take that entire spreadsheet, and use mcl:search to look for matching concepts that are already in the dictionary. For any that are found, fill in the "CIEL/MVP ID" and "CIEL/MVP Concept Name" columns.
- At this point (and actually several times before this point) share progress with everyone so we can make any necessary adjustments early.
- Ensure that Class, Datatype, and Submitter question/comments are all filled out for the remaining unmapped concepts.
- At this point (and several times beforehand) share progress with everyone, and we can decide whether to start creating the missing concepts immediately, or wait for feedback from CIEL/MVP.